Hi everyone, this is my first post. I’m Jade, I’m 29 and I live in Chicago. My dad died two months ago from complications from liver failure (alcohol addiction). We were estranged for 8 years, even through his end stages. He struggled for 10 months with liver failure and various other complications. My family is not super close or healthy. My mom has not been a great support. My sisters and I have had a lot of conflict. It’s brought my older sister and I closer, but my middle sister said because we were estranged I am not entitled to my grief. My dad was not a good father or the best person. But I am grieving him from different ages - sometimes I feel like I am 8 years old and I just want to run into his arms. Sometimes I feel 18 and I want to have another night of fun together playing darts. I love my friends, but they SUCK at grief. They don’t check in anymore about it. I feel like a burden, I feel like they are avoiding asking and don’t want to talk about it. They keep making summer plans, but I am stuck in my sadness. I have lost more than just my dad - I lost any hope for reconciliation. I have now felt like I am losing my connections to my friends because I am so alone in this. I know grief is isolating, I just expected more understanding. I guess this is a secret language. I think I am hoping to meet some online friends my age with similar experiences. If you’re in your 20s, have complicated grief, and lost a parent - I’d love to meet you.

Posted by goodegg at 2024-06-23 20:05:30 UTC