Hi everyone, I’m hoping to connect with others who have experienced Religious Trauma related to loss. My grandfather’s death last year was peaceful for him and expected by all, but complicated circumstances surrounding the death made it very traumatic for me due to suggestions from a 3rd party (who I trusted) that he was going to hell. And suggestions that I could have done something to stop it. I was not raised in any religion but I do have a personal relationship with God, and my spiritual life that once gave me strength has become a source of pain I am still navigating almost a year and a half later. I was very close to my grandfather who while complex was undoubtedly a good man and I am beginning to see how the religious trauma that unfolded at the time of his death blocked me from being able to fully mourn his loss in real time. I feel like I’m playing catch up on grieving him, and I am still trying to untangle the pain of his passing and the messages I was fed at a very vulnerable time that seem to have imprinted on me in a tough-to-shake way. Please reach out to me if you’ve experienced anything even slightly similar or related to “afterlife fear”, it would help a lot to talk. Thank you.

Posted by mb990961835 at 2023-12-09 17:29:55 UTC